One of my very favorite cold weather soups is this hearty and comforting Turkey Cabbage Patch Soup.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Traditional cabbage patch soup is prepared with ground beef, which you can most definitely use instead of ground turkey. I used to order this soup often at a local downtown restaurant and wanted to make my own healthier version. I really can’t tell the difference!
Now that cold weather is pretty much here, I’m totally into soup mode. But then again, I could eat soup every season of the year.
What’s awesome about this soup is that it’s freezer-friendly and reheats well if you have leftovers. I’ve only frozen it for a month before thawing and reheating, so I can’t say how long it will last in the freezer after a month.
It’s important to note to discard the outermost few layers of cabbage before chopping it… they’re tougher and take longer to cook. I normally peel off about 3 layers after I quarter and core the cabbage.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10-1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 10 1/2 ounces water (use beef broth can)
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 6 cups coarsely chopped cabbage, about 1/2 head
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh chopped parsley and additional parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a soup pot or dutch oven. Add ground turkey and onions. Cook, crumbling while cooking, for approximately 5 minutes or until turkey is browned. Drain off fat.
- Add tomato sauce, beef broth, water, kidney beans, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a mild boil.
- Add chopped cabbage and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
- Add chopped parsley and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Sprinkle with additional parsley, if desired.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: turkey cabbage patch soup, cabbage patch soup