This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Today I’m sharing a hearty, filling and comforting soup: Turkey Sausage Soup with Rice and Veggies.
This is a recipe I’m bringing back from the archives because I’ve made adjustments to it over the years… one of them being adding spinach. If you’re planning on eating healthier this new year, this is your soup!
And today was the perfect day for me to make this soup. I know I’ve sneezed at least 50 times today already and head is pounding. This is a perfect comforting feel-better soup!
Use a big pot for this soup because it yields approximately 12 cups. I used my 6-quart dutch oven.
Loaded with turkey sausage, tomatoes, corn, carrots, onions, spinach in a seasoned broth… it’s a satisfying soup minus the guilt!
A hearty and comforting soup with turkey sausage, vegetables and rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 3 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled and sliced carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh baby spinach
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and saute for 1 minute. Add garlic and saute until fragrant (about another minute).
- Add 1/2 cup of the water and turkey sausage. Cook while crumbling turkey sausage until sausage is browned and no longer pink (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Add all remaining ingredients except spinach and stir to combine (don’t forget the remaining water). Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until carrots are tender and rice is cooked.
- Add spinach and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: turkey sausage soup
Originally published March 7, 2012 and updated with new text and photographs January 5, 2017.