Packed full of tuna, fresh veggies and cheese, these Tuna and Veggie Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a hearty and healthy dinner alternative.
If you’re looking to change things up for dinner but still use everyday ingredients, this is your recipe. No fancy ingredients, but definitely a change from the dinner norm. And did I mention they’re incredibly delicious? I immediately inhaled one right after photographing!
Your simple ingredients are: zucchini, crushed buttery crackers, sharp cheddar cheese, tomato, red onion, fresh minced garlic, canned tuna and pepper.
I found that using a melon baller made hollowing out the zucchini pulp SO EASY! If you don’t have a melon baller, you can use a spoon.
The pulp is roughly chopped and mixed with the remaining ingredients (except for reserving a little of the shredded cheese to sprinkle on top) and stuffed into the zucchini “boats”. You might initially think you have too much of the zucchini pulp mixture, but trust me… if you pile it on like in the photographs, you’ll use every bit of it.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 20 round buttery crackers (such as Ritz), crushed
- 1 2/3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup seeded and diced Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) can chunk light tuna in water, very well drained
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse zucchini and pat dry. Halve each zucchini lengthwise and scrape out pulp using a melon baller or spoon. Coarsely chop the pulp and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Place zucchini shells on a large baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the zucchini are baking, add 1 cup of the cheese and the remaining ingredients to the bowl of the chopped zucchini pulp. Stir well to combine.
- Stuff each zucchini shell evenly with the mixture. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 2/3 cup of shredded cheese. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until heated thoroughly and cheese is melted.
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tuna and veggie stuffed zucchini boats