Summer is right around the corner and I’m getting a head start with this amazingly delicious Summer Corn and Zucchini Chowder.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Although I understand some people don’t enjoy soup during warm weather months, I love to eat it year-round. What an awesome way to use fresh summer produce in a satisfying and comforting soup!
This soup is chock full of fresh corn, zucchini, potatoes and bacon.
What if I want a vegetarian version of this chowder?
No problem! Instead of frying bacon in the beginning, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil and substitute that for the leftover bacon drippings.
Can I use frozen corn instead of fresh?
Yes, you can!
Serve it with baguette slices or French bread, and dinner is DONE. The leftovers are even better!Print
Enjoy soup in the summer while using up fresh summer produce with this satisfying chowder!
- 6 slices lean thick cut bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 averaged sized russet potatoes, peeled and diced into about 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (about 2 large ears if using fresh)
- 2 small zucchini, sliced into half moons (about 1-1/2 cups sliced)
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat, fry the bacon until browned (about 4-5 minutes). Discard all but approximately 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings.
- Add celery, thyme, nutmeg, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the milk, half and half, bay leaf and diced potatoes. Stir to combine. Increase heat and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cover. Simmer 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the corn and zucchini and stir to combine. Cover and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until corn and zucchini are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: corn, zucchini, chowder, soup, corn chowder