This satisfying Southwestern Succotash is a flavorful side dish full of black beans, chick peas, veggies and seasonings. It’s incredibly easy to prepare in under 20 minutes!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I’ve been off the radar for a little while but have had something really exciting going on. I recently bought a home of my very own and have been moving and getting settled – It’s been so very exciting and exhausting at the same time!
I don’t know about you, but when I’m really physically active, overheated and hungry, I crave food that’s not heavy but still hearty and satisfying… and that’s exactly what this recipe is. I ate a big bowl of this succotash as an entire meal after a long day of unpacking.
I originally posted this recipe in late 2014 after enjoying a similar side dish at a restaurant while visiting Utah. I’ve added a few more ingredients to it over the years to make it even heartier (and more delicious!).
The most difficult part of this recipe is chopping the veggies, so it’s incredibly easy to prepare without a lot of hassle.
This succotash is always a welcomed side dish for potlucks and summer cookouts. I went light on the chili powder, but feel free to adjust the seasonings to your personal taste if you prefer a bolder flavor.
Originally published September 16, 2014. Updated with new photos and revised recipe May 17, 2019.Print
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: Approximately 7 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chick peas, drained
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel yellow corn, drained
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chopped onion, red bell pepper and poblano pepper and saute until peppers are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and continue to saute until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chick peas, black beans, corn, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until heated thoroughly, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Stir in lime juice, tomatoes and cilantro until combined. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Southwestern
Keywords: southwestern succotash, succotash
Corn dish was great
Amy @ The Blond Cook
Thanks, Vanita! Glad you enjoyed it!