These tender and flavorful collards flavored with smoky ham hocks are slow cooked to perfection in your crock pot.
- 1 large bunch collard greens (about 2 pounds), large stem portion removed (if desired) and rinsed well (discard any yellow leaves)
- 2 ham hocks (about 1–1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth (32 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Stack 3 to 4 collard leaves on top of one another and chop into approximately 2-inch pieces.
- Place the collard greens in your slow cooker insert (6-quart capacity or larger) and add remaining ingredients. Stir to incorporate and coat leaves with the chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 5 hours or low heat for 10 hours, or until collards are tender to your liking. Quickly stir 2 to 3 times (as evenly spaced out as possible) throughout cooking time.
- Remove ham hocks and place on a cutting board. Remove meat from bone and roughly chop or shred (be sure to remove all pieces of bone; some can be very small). Discard bone and skin.
- Return meat to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
This recipe was tested using a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 hours
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crock pot collard greens, slow cooker collard greens