These crispy fried egg rolls with a collard green and cream cheese filling are a delicious way to recycle your leftover cooked collard greens.
I normally prepare an overabundance of collard greens during the holidays so I can use the leftovers in this recipe. These egg rolls are always a welcomed dinner or appetizer for collard lovers… they’re a true southern delicacy!
Ingredients for Collard Green Egg Rolls
- Cooked collard greens (with or without pork)
- Cream cheese – Increase the amount of cream cheese for a creamier consistency, if desired
- Egg roll wrappers
- Beaten egg
- Peanut oil
- Sweet chili sauce (or sauce of your choice), for dipping
Tips for Preparing Collard Egg Rolls
- Drain off as much of the pot liquor from the collards as possible – I drain the collards in a colander and press with the back of a spatula.
- Work with egg roll wrappers one at a time. Place a dampened paper towel over egg rolls while the oil is heating to prevent them from drying out.
Originally published February 2012. Updated with new photographs, recipe revised and republished December 8, 2019.