This easy Pasta with Tomato Butter Sauce is prepared with staple pantry ingredients in just 30 minutes.
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained (I used fettuccine)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced or whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or basil, for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly (about 30 seconds).
- Add tomatoes with juices, Italian seasoning, sugar and bay leaf. If using whole tomatoes, break up tomatoes with a spoon into about 1-inch pieces while bringing to a boil. Once sauce reaches a gentle boil, reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer.
- Begin heating water in a large pot to boiling for the pasta and cook according to package directions while sauce is simmering.
- Simmer sauce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf and discard. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to sauce and toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley or basil, if desired.
- Add crushed red pepper for a spicy kick, if desired. This is also delicious topped with grated Parmesan!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tomato butter sauce