This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Creamy, cheesy, crunchy and full of green beans, this Green Bean Casserole is so easy to make… and it doesn’t use any canned soup!
Happy Thanksgiving week! I can’t even believe it’s just a couple of days away. Thanksgiving brings back so many awesome memories for me that I will always cherish and hold dear.
Every year I always make this delicious side dish, because I just don’t think Thanksgiving is complete without it. But I have to admit that I’ve always used canned condensed soup… until now!
I really don’t mind using canned soup, but I know there are some people that are against it, so I wanted to try it without it. It wasn’t much trouble at all and was AMAZING! This recipe is still somewhat “semi” homemade, because I used canned green beans. Hey, I realize there’s a lot going on in the kitchen during Thanksgiving and it’s just more convenient.
And those crispy French fried onions over that melted cheese… mercy! I also add mushrooms to my green bean casserole because I ADORE mushrooms and add them to anything I possibly can. If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, just omit them!
What is your must-have side dish during the holidays? Happy Thanksgiving and happy cooking! 🙂Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups French fried onions, divided (1/2 cup for casserole, 1 cup for topping)
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in salt, pepper, sugar, garlic and sour cream. Remove from heat and add green beans, mushrooms and 1/2 cup of the French fried onions. Stir gently to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle evenly with cheese, then sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1 cup of French fried onions.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and edges are bubbly.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Americen
Keywords: green bean casserole
Adapted from AllRecipes.com