Creamy, cheesy, crunchy and full of green beans, this Green Bean Casserole is so easy to make… and it doesn’t use any canned soup!
Happy Thanksgiving week! I can’t even believe it’s just a couple of days away. Thanksgiving brings back so many awesome memories for me that I will always cherish and hold dear.
Every year I always make this delicious side dish, because I just don’t think Thanksgiving is complete without it. But I have to admit that I’ve always used canned condensed soup… until now!
I really don’t mind using canned soup, but I know there are some people that are against it, so I wanted to try it without it. It wasn’t much trouble at all and was AMAZING! This recipe is still somewhat “semi” homemade, because I used canned green beans. Hey, I realize there’s a lot going on in the kitchen during Thanksgiving and it’s just more convenient.
And those crispy French fried onions over that melted cheese… mercy! I also add mushrooms to my green bean casserole because I ADORE mushrooms and add them to anything I possibly can. If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, just omit them!
What is your must-have side dish during the holidays? Happy Thanksgiving and happy cooking! 🙂Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups French fried onions, divided (1/2 cup for casserole, 1 cup for topping)
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in salt, pepper, sugar, garlic and sour cream. Remove from heat and add green beans, mushrooms and 1/2 cup of the French fried onions. Stir gently to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle evenly with cheese, then sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1 cup of French fried onions.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and edges are bubbly.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Americen
Keywords: green bean casserole
Adapted from AllRecipes.com