This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
So moist, light and delicious, this Easy Spiced Orange Rum Cake is a cinch to prepare!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I first made this cake on Easter Sunday after the idea came to me on how to use up some oranges. Although it was insanely delicious, I’ve made it a couple more times since then to get it exactly like I wanted it.
This cake is light enough that it’s a perfect summer dessert, but also serves well at any holiday dessert table. No one will ever know you had a little help from a boxed cake mix!
This cake is not rich or heavy – It’s light and moist with subtle hints of orange, nutmeg and rum. It’s welcoming of adaptations, as you can swap out the instant vanilla pudding for lemon to add more citrus flavor and/or adjust the amounts of orange zest and nutmeg to your personal preference.
What you have here is a simple, delicious and elegant cake that is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser… it’s hard to stop at just one slice!
A light, moist and delicious cake with subtle hints of orange, nutmeg and rum.
For the cake:
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box butter golden cake mix (I used Duncan Heinz)
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons spiced rum
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 10-cup bundt pan generously or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, nutmeg, orange zest, orange extract, eggs, water, vegetable oil and spiced rum with a mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour into bundt pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted is removed clean. Place on a baking rack to cool while preparing the glaze.
- Prepare the glaze by melting butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and orange juice and stir to combine. Increase heat to medium high and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add rum. Stir well to combine.
- While the cake is still in the pan, use a skewer or toothpick to pierce holes in the cake evenly throughout. Pour glaze over the cake (while still in the pan) and allow to absorb glaze.
- Allow cake to cool and absorb glaze for 15-20 minutes, then invert onto a serving platter.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spiced orange rum cake, orange rum cake