This easy dessert starts with a boxed mix and ends with a moist, delicious, melt-in-your-mouth coconut cake!
For the cake:
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant coconut cream pudding mix
- 4 large egg whites *
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or liberally spray a 13×9 pan with cooking spray.
- Beat together cake mix, pudding mix, egg whites, sour cream, vegetable oil and water with a hand mixer on medium speed (or with a stand mixer using the paddle attachment). Beat until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes (my cake was ready in 35 minutes using a glass pan), or until a toothpick inserted in the center is removed clean.
- Allow cake to cool. While cake is cooling, prepare the frosting by beating cream cheese and butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer (or a stand mixer) until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar, while continuing to beat until smooth. Add extract and mix until combined.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and sprinkle evenly with coconut flakes.
- *3 large eggs can be used in place of the 4 egg whites
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coconut sheet cake with cake mix