This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Last night I was thumbing through a venison cookbook and came across a recipe for Creamy Squash Soup. Apparently it’s a great accompaniment to venison.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Creamy Squash Soup Recipe
Whatever! This rich and creamy soup was so good by itself, it doesn’t really need any “accompaniment”. Well, maybe a baguette to do some sopping with. It’s been so freakin’ cold here in NC I could eat a big warm bowl of soup EVERY DAY. So you’ll probably be seeing a lot more soup recipes on the blog!
Honestly, I’ve never made any type of squash soup before but I’ve had it at restaurants. What I really liked about this recipe is that I didn’t have to break out the food processor. I just mashed the cooked squash with a fork right in the pot I boiled it in after I drained the water.
The squash need to be peeled and the seeds removed. I found that a melon baller did the trick very easily. Then I sliced the squash into cubes and boiled it for about 25 minutes until it was tender.
If you’re craving a warm, comforting and creamy bowl of squash soup, you’ve gotta try this Creamy Squash Soup!Print
- 5 cups yellow or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup celery
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and additional for sprinkling if desired
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Peel, seed and cube squash. Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes, or until tender. Drain squash in a colander and return to saucepan. Mash well with a fork or potato masher. Set aside.
- In a saucepan or soup pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Sauté onions, celery and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, mashed squash, rosemary, bay leaf, nutmeg, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in heavy cream. Top with additional ground nutmeg, if desired.
Adapted from The Complete Venison Cookbook
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Soup, squash, creamy, butternut squash