- 5 cups peeled, seeded and cubed yellow squash
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and additional for sprinkling if desired
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Peel, seed and cube squash. Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain squash in a colander and return to saucepan. Mash well with a fork or potato masher. Set aside.
- In a saucepan or soup pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Sauté onions, celery and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, mashed squash, rosemary, bay leaf, nutmeg, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Stir in heavy cream. Top with additional ground nutmeg, if desired.
Adapted from The Complete Venison Cookbook
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy squash soup