Crispy fried egg rolls filled with a collard green and cream cheese filling – A delicious way to recycle your leftover cooked collard greens!
- 2 cups very well drained fully cooked collard greens (cooked with pork, if desired)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 7 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Sweet chili sauce (or sauce of your choice), for dipping
- Stir together collard greens and cream cheese in a medium bowl until combined. Set aside.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean, dry surface with a corner pointed towards you (work with one egg roll wrapper at a time).
- Place 1/4 cup of collard greens mixture onto the bottom third of the wrapper.
- Brush beaten egg over outer edges of wrapper.
- Roll the corner pointed towards you over the filling. Fold left and right corners towards the center and roll over tightly.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers and collard mixture. Cover egg rolls with a dampened paper towel to prevent from drying out while oil is heating.
- Pour 2 to 3 inches of peanut oil in a stock pot or deep fryer and heat to 350 degrees F over medium high heat.
- Carefully fry egg rolls in batches (3 to 4 at a time) for approximately 3 minutes, or until a deep golden brown color all over. Using tongs, carefully turn egg rolls a few times during frying.
- Remove from oil and place on a baking rack over a rimmed baking sheet or a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce (or your favorite dipping sauce).
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: collard egg rolls, collard green egg roll recipe