I’m back on a soup kick and bringing you this creamy and savory Carrot Ginger Soup that’s bursting with flavor!
As an adult I’ve become a lover of carrots and prefer them cooked over raw (although I’ll still eat them raw!). This soup is a perfect year-round soup that’s creamy and comforting, but not too heavy.
Mixing in a little sour cream makes it even creamier and complements the flavors of carrots, ginger and a hint of thyme.
Pair this soup with a salad and you’ve got yourself a hearty and filling meal. It also reheats well, so any leftovers you might have you can take to work the next day.
Now you might think this soup is complicated and time consuming, but it’s really not! I (very carefully) pureed the onion and carrot mixture in my blender and it only took a few seconds. Zap it and pour it back in the soup pot to add the whipping cream, heat and DONE.
Savory, velvety and comforting… you can’t go wrong with this soup if you’re a carrot lover. Enjoy!Print
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion (about 1 medium sweet onion)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3 cups sliced)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, if desired
- Rosemary sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken broth, carrots, ginger and thyme. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer approximately 15 to 18 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- When carrots are tender, carefully puree using an immersion blender OR pour into a blender, cover and puree. ***Exercise caution when blending hot liquids and do not fill blender more than half full.
- Pour pureed carrot mixture back into pot and add whipping cream. Stir well to combine and heat thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with sour cream, if desired.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot ginger soup
Adapted from Food Network