- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion (about 1 medium sweet onion)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3 cups sliced)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, if desired
- Rosemary sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken broth, carrots, ginger and thyme. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer approximately 15 to 18 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- When carrots are tender, carefully puree using an immersion blender OR pour into a blender, cover and puree. ***Exercise caution when blending hot liquids and do not fill blender more than half full.
- Pour pureed carrot mixture back into pot and add whipping cream. Stir well to combine and heat thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with sour cream, if desired.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot ginger soup