Happy second day of Spring! This Smoked Sausage and Cabbage Soup is full of flavor and loaded with smoked sausage and healthy veggies. It’s a new favorite recipe!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
This soup was inspired by a craving for cabbage and hot cozy soup (although it’s spring it’s still cold outside here). You’ll definitely need some crusty French bread to soak up the amazing broth… it’s just bursting with flavor!
The cabbage does need to simmer a while for it get tender, but once you get everything in the pot it’s basically on autopilot after that.
Did I mention how awesome it smells while simmering?! It’s perfectly seasoned with oregano, thyme and garlic. I used beef broth but you can also use chicken broth in this recipe.
It also reheats well and makes a great lunch for work the next day. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (13-ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef or chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ small head of cabbage, cored and chopped into about 1-inch pieces (about 6 cups chopped)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add sausage slices, onions, carrots and celery and cook for approximately 7 minutes, or until vegetables are tender (stirring frequently). Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add tomatoes with juice, broth, thyme and oregano. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Once soup reaches a boil, add cabbage and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and simmer for 50 minutes, or until cabbage is tender. Season with salt and pepper.