Well, it’s that time of year again. Back to school. I know all of you moms and dads are strapped for time, so I wanted to share a super easy casserole dish with you all: Mexican Chicken Casserole.
Yes, it’s a little messy. Messy is good. But it’s so easy to make…I used a store bought rotisserie chicken to slash the time in preparing it. 15 minutes prep time (max) means you can pop it in the oven and start helping the kiddies get ready for their next day at school.
Here are your ingredients: Mexican blend shredded cheese, flour tortillas, soups, salsa and chicken. I pulled all the chicken from the bone and it was about 4 1/2 cups.
And this is how Chance looks at me when I’m pulling chicken from the bone. He’s a spoiled rotten mess.
Start by stirring together cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese soup and salsa.
Add the chicken and stir again.
In a greased casserole dish, layer 4 of the flour tortillas.
Spread half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
Layer 4 more tortillas over the chicken mixture.
Yep. You got it. Spread the other half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
One last layer of tortillas…
Then the cheese goes on top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes and you’re all good to go for dinner.
And don’t let all the photos make you think that this recipe is complicated…like I said, 15 minutes max is your prep time if your chicken is already cooked.
- Approximately 4 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
- (1) 10 3/4 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- (1) 10 3/4 ounce can cheddar cheese soup
- (1) 10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cups prepared salsa
- 12 ounce package flour tortillas (12 tortillas)
- (1) 8 ounce bag (2 cups) Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9 inch casserole dish (or spray with cooking spray).
- In a large bowl, stir together the soups and salsa. Add chicken and stir to combine.
- Layer 4 of the flour tortillas in the casserole dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
- Layer 4 more tortillas, then spread the remaining half of chicken mixture over them.
- Layer last 4 tortillas. Top with cheese.
- Bake (uncovered) for 30 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and chicken mixture is bubbly around sides of dish.
Recipe adapted from PaulaDeen.com