I really don’t consider myself much of a baker, but I’m here to tell you I nailed this cake. I mean NAILED it (did you get that?). Today I’m sharing with you what I call The Best Apple Nut Cake.
I really can’t take all the credit for this cake. My mom’s good friend, Sonjia (and mine too!), used to take her a loaf of this cake every year for Christmas when she lived here in NC. Mama enjoyed it so much she asked her for the recipe.
Mama was nice enough to include this recipe in the cookbook she made for me when I moved out on my own. After many failures in the kitchen as a teenager, I asked her to (literally) write the directions that any cooking dummy could understand. It has directions like, “put the lid on the pot”. For real. Thanks, Mama.
This cake is perfectly moist and chock full of fresh apples, pecans and coconut. It MUST be on your fall baking agenda.
Perfectly moist apple cake with pecans, coconut and spices.
For the cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped apples that have been cored and peeled (I used granny smith)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
For the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a bundt pan or 2 loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together granulated sugar and vegetable oil, stirring with a large spoon.
- Add orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla and baking soda. Stir well to combine.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time and stir well between adding each egg.
- Slowly add flour, stirring well. Gently stir in apples, coconut and pecans (batter will be thick).
- Pour into a greased bundt pan or 2 loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted is removed clean. Cool on a wire rack.
For the glaze:
- Stir together powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple nut cake