Chicken salad gets a tropical fruity twist in this easy Summer Chicken Salad with sweet mandarin oranges, grapes, pineapple and crunchy walnuts.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
This has been a favorite chicken salad of mine during hot summer months for years – The combination of savory chicken, sweet fruit, creamy poppy seed dressing and crunchy toasted walnuts is always a winner!
The vibrant colors of the fruit make this as pretty to look at as it is to eat. It’s just the right blend of chicken, fruit and crunchy walnuts. Make this recipe even quicker and easier by using leftover cooked chicken or a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Serving suggestions for Summer Chicken Salad:
Serve on buttery croissants, wraps, pita pockets or your favorite crackers. I love it for Sunday brunch served on croissants!
How long does this chicken salad last?
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Originally published May 7, 2012. Updated with new photographs and recipe slightly revised on June 16, 2019.Print
Chicken salad gets a tropical fruity twist in this Summer Chicken Salad with sweet mandarin oranges, grapes, pineapple and crunchy walnuts.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (more for creamier salad)
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into about 1/2-inch cubes (or approximately 3-3/4 cups fully cooked shredded or cubed chicken)
- (1) 8-ounce can pineapple tidbits, well drained (or 3/4 cup chopped fresh pineapple)
- (1) 8-1/4 ounce can mandarin oranges, well drained and sliced in half
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Prepare the dressing by stirring together mayonnaise, poppy seeds and sugar in a small bowl until combined. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken cubes for 7-8 minutes, or until fully cooked and no longer pink (stirring frequently). Drain off juices from chicken and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together cooled cooked chicken, pineapple, oranges, grapes and walnuts until combined. Add dressing and gently stir to coat as evenly as possible.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Adapted from AllRecipes.com
Time does not include time for cooked chicken to cool.