Everything you love about corned beef and cabbage, but in a hearty and satisfying soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots (about 3 carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (more or less, to taste)
- 8 cups low sodium beef broth*
- 3 cups fully cooked shredded or cubed corned beef
- 4 cups chopped cabbage (about 1-inch pieces – approximately 1/2 of a small head)
- 2 cups red potatoes that have been cut into bite size pieces (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a 6-quart dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes (stirring frequently).
- Add garlic and caraway seeds and cook until garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently (about 30 seconds).
- Add broth, corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, bay leaves and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer (low or medium low). Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cabbage, potatoes and carrots are tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- *Chicken broth can be substituted for beef broth
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: leftover corned beef and cabbage soup, corned beef and cabbage soup