This recipe for Easy Chicken and Dumplings is so cozy and comforting, no one will ever know there are a few shortcuts involved!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I grew up LOVING this as a kid (and still do!). It was one of my favorite comfort foods that my mom made and she always prepared it using Anne’s Frozen Dumplings. They taste so close to homemade that I’ve always used them, too.
This is not a sponsored recipe, I just really love the convenience, taste and texture of these dumplings!
I’ve added my own personal spin to my mom’s recipe over the years by adding cream of chicken and celery soups to make it creamier (her version is delicious as well!). Given that, if you’re against using those soups, this probably isn’t the recipe for you (but I personally love it!).
How Many People Does This Serve?
I measured just a little over 13 cups in this recipe. It serves 6 people a generous portion of a little over 2 cups each. If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, it’s even better the next day.
More Comfort Food Soups and Stews You’ll LovePrint
Creamy and cozy Chicken and Dumplings prepared with Anne’s frozen dumplings and a few easy shortcuts. It’s the ultimate cold weather comfort food!
- 1 (2-1/2 to 3-pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10-1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10-1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 12 ounces frozen Anne’s Flat Dumplings (1/2 of a 24-ounce package – 8 sheets)
- Place whole chicken, celery, onion, bay leaves, sage, dill, salt and pepper in a 6-quart Dutch oven (or large soup pot) and cover with water (just enough to cover chicken).
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear (internal temperature should be 165 degrees F).
- Carefully remove chicken and place on a platter or cutting board. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Remove skin from chicken and discard. Remove chicken from bones and shred. Discard bones. Set chicken aside.
- Add cream of chicken soup and cream of celery soup to pot. Stir well to combine. Return to a boil over medium high heat.
- While returning to a boil, remove dumplings from freezer (they will need to thaw about 5 minutes so they’re easier to separate) and slice or break each dumpling slice into half or thirds.
- Once boiling, slowly add dumplings, a handful at a time, stirring between each addition.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 20 minutes (or until dumplings are tender and cooked), stirring frequently so that dumplings do not stick together.
- Stir in chicken and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Prep time includes time for chicken to cool and shredding chicken.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken and dumplings, easy chicken and dumplings
Originally published December 14, 2011. Updated with photographs and recipe revised on October 21, 2019.