This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
There’s nothing I love more than an amazing slow cooker recipe that basically cooks itself… and this Slow Cooker Chicken and Pastry is one of those recipes!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Chicken and Pastry or Chicken and Dumplings… which one do you call it? I’ve called it both, but mostly refer to it as Chicken and Pastry since that’s what my grandma and my mama called it when they cooked it. 🙂
This is just about as hassle-free as you can get when it comes to cooking chicken and pastry. Seriously, the “work” involved is basically chopping your veggies. And did I mention how awesome it smells while its cooking?
When it had just finished cooking, we had a friend of ours show up to replace a part on the heat pump. He said he could smell it outside so I sent him home with a big bowl for dinner. 🙂 This recipe yields about 6 servings but I gave him a monster bowl before photographing… so the slow cooker photo is not accurate as far as the amount you will yield.
I’ve always used Anne’s Dumplings in my chicken and pastry. It’s what my mama used ever since I can remember and tastes just as good as homemade to me (this is not a sponsored post).
Comforting, cozy, simple and EASY… that’s what I love about this recipe. Enjoy!Print
- 1 (10-1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10-1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups chopped)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 ounces frozen Anne’s Dumplings (1/2 package), each slice broken into thirds
- Pour both soups and chicken broth into a 6-quart slow cooker. Add sage, dill, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Add celery and onion and stir to combine.
- Add chicken breasts evenly across the bottom of slow cooker insert into the soup mixture. Add bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours, or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken breasts and place in a medium bowl. Shred with 2 forks and return to slow cooker.
- Add frozen dumplings (one at a time) and stir to combine. Cover and increase heat to high (if you’re cooking on low heat). Cook for an additional 45 minutes or until dumplings are fully cooked, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.