I was craving some wintertime comfort food recently and made this EASY Chicken and Dumplings recipe.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Whether you call it chicken and dumplings or chicken and pastry, one thing remains: it’s some good stuff. I was actually going to make chicken noodle soup, but changed my mind and thought that I’d make chicken and dumplings at the last minute.
This was one of my first recipes on the blog, and my original photos needed a LOT of improving.
We all have to start somewhere, right?
There’s always room for improvement, but you’ll see in my original recipe post just how much improvement I needed.
So when the Chicken and Dumplings were cooked, I rushed a bowl of this good stuff to my little room where I take all of my food pictures. You can see I have my background boards and foam boards stacked in the background, and I have my makeshift “table” set up by a window for natural light.
It works and I am so thankful to have a designated area where I can photograph food and store all of my food photography “stuff”.
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe as much as I have over the years. Click the following link to view the original post: >>Easy Chicken & DumplingsPrint
- 1 (2-1/2 to 3 pound) chicken
- 1 (10¾ ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons sage
- ½ tablespoon dill
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package of Anne’s Dumplings
- In a large stock pot cover chicken with water.
- Add all ingredients (except pastries and cream of chicken soup) and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken juices run clear, approximately 35-40 minutes.
- Remove chicken from bone and return chicken meat to pot.
- Add cream of chicken soup and stir well to incorporate. Return to a boil.
- Add frozen pastry, 4-5 slices at a time, bringing back to a boil, then add more pastry, using entire package (add more water if needed).
- Simmer (covered) on low heat for 15-20 minutes.