So I opened my pantry the other day and saw a box of shortbread Girl Scout cookies sitting next to a bag of Twix candy bars and thought, hmmmmm…who doesn’t love Girl Scout shortbread cookies, and who doesn’t love Twix candy bars? A chocolate caramel shortbread cookie baked IN a shortbread cookie!
I must tell you my mistake the first time I tried to make them; I mixed the Twix in the batter. Although they were still delish, the caramel stuck to the bottom of the pan. So I tried, tried again and placed the Twix on TOP of the cookies before I baked them.
Oh, and you need to freeze the Twix candy bars for about an hour minimum before you cut them. I used the “fun size”.
Then, slice your twix with a sharp knife into little chunks. Even though they’re frozen, they’re not hard to cut.
Here’s the printable version ~ go get your Twix cookies on! 🙂
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 "fun size" twix candy bars, frozen and sliced into little chunks
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using electric mixer, mix butter & sugar for approximately 1 minute on medium speed, or until light & fluffy.
- Add vanilla & salt.
- Reduce mixer speed to low; slowly add flour until just mixed; don't over-beat.
- Roll dough into balls, about a tablespoon each & place on baking sheet sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Using the back of a spoon dipped in water, press on each cookie to flatten.
- Place frozen Twix cookie pieces into tops of cookies.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until golden brown.