Butternut squash, Italian sausage, veggies, herbs and cheese come together in this delicious Sausage and Butternut Squash Skillet.
Honestly, I’ve never even tried to cook anything with butternut squash until last October. October 6 to be exact. I never got to finish out the recipe completely, so I figured this October would be the perfect time to finish what I started!
Better late than never, right?
Be sure to sharpen your knife before peeling the squash. I just used an inexpensive potato peeler to peel it, but I had to peel twice to get through the skin.
The sweet and nutty, buttery flavor of the butternut squash combined with spicy Italian sausage, onion, red pepper and herbs made me wish I hadn’t waited an entire year to re-try making this recipe.
Actually, the first time I attempted this combination I began (but never finished) baking it. I thought about it a little more and decided I wanted to change it up and cook it on the stove top.
Because change is good, right? It was in this case! 🙂
Do me a favor and make this. Please and thank you. Oh, and if you’re wanting to integrate some carbs into your meal, serve it over a bed of rice! 🙂Print
Italian sausage, butternut squash, herbs and cheese come together in this delicious fall-inspired skillet dinner!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (19 ounce) package Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 (2 pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper (about 1 medium-sized red bell pepper)
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet (that has a lid), heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, while breaking into large pieces with a spoon or spatula (about 6-7 minutes).
- Add all remaining ingredients (except for cheese) and stir gently to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes (while stirring occasionally), or until squash is tender.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage and butternut squash skillet
Inspired by rachaelrayshow.com