Italian sausage, butternut squash, herbs and cheese come together in this delicious fall-inspired skillet dinner!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (19 ounce) package Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 (2 pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper (about 1 medium-sized red bell pepper)
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet (that has a lid), heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, while breaking into large pieces with a spoon or spatula (about 6-7 minutes).
- Add all remaining ingredients (except for cheese) and stir gently to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes (while stirring occasionally), or until squash is tender.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 27 mins
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage and butternut squash skillet