This rich and creamy Quick Southern Banana Pudding will be your new go-to recipe when you’re strapped for time and craving banana pudding!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I’m going to go ahead and be upfront by letting you know that this recipe uses a boxed pudding mix. I came across this recipe in a cookbook years ago, tweaked it to make it my own and have been making it ever since. By using half and half as a substitute for the majority of the milk, it tastes more like homemade from scratch. Everyone always loves it AND it’s ready in 30 minutes!
How do you keep the bananas from turning brown?
It’s not a requirement, but if you’re worried about the bananas browning, simply brush the sliced bananas with lemon juice right after they’re sliced.
Meringue or no meringue?
I think that what makes banana pudding truly southern is the meringue, but if you prefer whipped topping you can slash the time in this recipe by about 20 minutes!
Originally published April 22, 2013. Updated with new photos, recipe slightly revised and republished on July 5, 2019.Print
Rich and creamy banana pudding topped with meringue… ready in 30 minutes using an easy shortcut without sacrificing flavor. A classic Southern dessert!
For the banana pudding:
- 1 (5.1-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- (1) 12 ounce box vanilla wafers
- 6 small or 4 large bananas
For the meringue:
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat pudding mix, milk and half-and-half at low speed using an electric mixer until blended. Increase speed to medium and continue to beat until mixture is thickened (about 2-1/2 minutes).
- In a 2-1/2 quart baking dish, layer 1/4 of the vanilla wafers. Cover with 1/3 of the sliced bananas.
- Pour 1/3 of pudding over bananas. Repeat layers twice, ending with pudding.
- Place remaining vanilla wafers around edges of baking dish.
- Prepare the meringue by beating the egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed with a whisk attachment until foamy.
- Slowly add sugar while continuing to beat. Beat until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Fold in vanilla.
- Spread meringue over pudding. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until peaks of meringue are golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Southern Living: Ultimate Quick & Easy Cookbook
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy southern banana pudding, quick banana pudding