Rich and creamy banana pudding topped with meringue… ready in 30 minutes using an easy shortcut without sacrificing flavor. A classic Southern dessert!
For the banana pudding:
- 1 (5.1-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- (1) 12 ounce box vanilla wafers
- 6 small or 4 large bananas
For the meringue:
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat pudding mix, milk and half-and-half at low speed using an electric mixer until blended. Increase speed to medium and continue to beat until mixture is thickened (about 2-1/2 minutes).
- In a 2-1/2 quart baking dish, layer 1/4 of the vanilla wafers. Cover with 1/3 of the sliced bananas.
- Pour 1/3 of pudding over bananas. Repeat layers twice, ending with pudding.
- Place remaining vanilla wafers around edges of baking dish.
- Prepare the meringue by beating the egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed with a whisk attachment until foamy.
- Slowly add sugar while continuing to beat. Beat until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Fold in vanilla.
- Spread meringue over pudding. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until peaks of meringue are golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Southern Living: Ultimate Quick & Easy Cookbook
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy southern banana pudding, quick banana pudding