Oh how I love MUSHROOMS! One of my very favorite (and oh so easy) ways to eat them is in a quesadilla. Today I’m sharing my simple way of preparing Mushroom Quesadillas.
I’ve been a mushroom lover since I can remember. Even as a child, any restaurant my mama and I ate at I always ordered something with mushrooms (if it was on the menu). I remember steak with mushroom gravy (with LOTS of mushrooms!) being my favorite meal as a child.
You just can’t go wrong with crispy tortillas oozing with cheese and sauteed mushrooms and onions. I had never eaten a mushroom quesadilla until one of my very best friends (Kim) and I went to a Mexican restaurant on our lunch break one day and she ordered one. They weren’t on the menu so I never thought of ordering one. Needless to say that’s pretty much what I order every time I go to a Mexican restaurant if they’ll make it for me.
Ohhhhhh YES! I used mozzarella cheese in this quesadilla, but I’ve also used a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar, pepper jack and bagged Mexican blend cheeses before… all were awesome! I like to eat them with Easy Homemade Salsa and/or sour cream.
Mushroom quesadillas are an easy and satisfying vegetarian dinner ready in under 15 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup loosely packed sliced yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or mozzarella/cheddar mixture, pepper jack or Mexican blend)
- Extra chopped fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Sour cream and/or salsa
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, onions, salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes (or until tender), stirring constantly. Stir in chopped fresh cilantro. Drain off liquid and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Return the skillet to medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Place a tortilla in the skillet and sprinkle half of the cheese over tortilla. Evenly distribute half of the mushroom mixture over the cheese. Top with another tortilla. Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side, or until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with additional chopped fresh cilantro and serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired.
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: mushroom quesadilla