This rich and creamy Alfredo Sauce is so easy to make using everyday ingredients. The best part is that it’s prepared in just 20 minutes… homemade Alfredo sauce has never been easier!
This recipe is prepared with cream cheese, milk (no heavy cream!) and a few other simple ingredients. If you’ve never tried it, now is the time! It’s classic comfort food made simple.
Ingredients for Alfredo Sauce
- Cream cheese
- Milk – whole milk.
- Parmesan cheese – freshly grated is best!
- Italian seasoning
- Black pepper
I do not use salt in this recipe because it is plenty salty enough for my taste. As always, feel free to add salt if you desire.
How to Prepare
Watch the video below to see just how EASY this sauce is to make!
Step 1: Melt butter in a medium saucepan (or large sauté pan) over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Step 2: Add cream cheese cubes, Italian seasoning and pepper. Whisk to smooth out large lumps. Slowly pour in milk while continuing to whisk.
Step 3: Add Parmesan cheese while continuing to stir with whisk until smooth. Continue to cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes (or until desired thickness). Please note that sauce will continue to thicken as it sits once it’s removed from heat.
Number of Servings
This recipe yields approximately 4 cups of Alfredo sauce, so it’s plenty for a 16-ounce package of your favorite cooked pasta (I love this sauce with fettucine!). I’d say this yields approximately 6 to 8 servings.
Allow the sauce to cool and pour in an airtight container (or jar). Store in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. The sauce will thicken after storing, so I normally add a few tablespoons of milk when reheating.
More Homemade Sauces
Easy Alfredo Sauce
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese cubed
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese 6 ounces
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan (or large saute pan) over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add cream cheese cubes, Italian seasoning and pepper. Whisk to smooth out large lumps. Slowly pour in milk, about ¼ cup at a time, while continuing to whisk.
- Add Parmesan cheese while continuing to whisk until smooth. Continue to cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Please note that sauce will continue to thicken as it cools once removed from heat.
- Toss with your favorite cooked and drained pasta.
- Yields approximately 4 cups of sauce.
- Nutritional info does not include pasta.
- To store, allow sauce to cool and store in the fridge in an airtight container (or jar) for 3 to 4 days.
- Sauce will thicken when refrigerated – add 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk when reheating.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published November 2016. Updated with new photos, new text, video and recipe slightly revised May 2022.
Adapted from AllRecipes.com