This hearty and flavorful Chinese Pepper Steak is one of my very favorite meals. Not only is it super-easy to prepare using simple ingredients, it comes together in under 30 minutes from start to finish!
It’s also budget-friendly which is a total WIN when it comes to a delicious and comforting dinner the whole family will love. Serve it over cooked rice for a complete meal!
- Flank steak – sliced into 1/4 inch strips across the grain. Flank steak can be substituted with sirloin, if desired.
- Bell peppers – I use one green and one red bell pepper.
- Garlic – minced fresh garlic. Feel free to use the jarred minced garlic if you’re in a hurry!
- Granulated white sugar – brown sugar can also be used.
- Yellow onion – you’ll need one medium onion.
- Ground ginger – I use half of a teaspoon, but feel free to use more or less, depending upon your personal preference!
- Soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable oil – sesame oil can also be used.
- Corn starch
- Sesame seeds – optional garnish.
Helpful Hint for Slicing the Beef:
Place your beef in the freezer for about 20 to 30 minutes before slicing so it will firm up a bit… this makes it so much easier to slice!
How to Make Pepper Steak and Onions
Following is a brief overview of how to prepare – please see the recipe card for full detailed instructions.
- Prepare the sauce by whisking together the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, ginger and corn starch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat half of the oil in a skillet or wok and cook the peppers and onions for about four minutes, then add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate or a bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and cook the beef for about five minutes, or until browned on both sides and fully cooked.
- Return the peppers and onions to the skillet with the beef and stir to combine.
- Pour in the sauce and stir to coat as evenly as possible. Cook for approximately one to two minutes (while stirring), or until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with sesame seeds when serving, if desired.
More 30 Minute Meals You’ll Love
Chinese Pepper Steak
- ⅓ cup soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger more or less, to taste
- 2 ½ tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 medium green bell pepper cored, seeded and sliced into ¼ inch strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper cored, seeded and sliced into ¼ inch strips
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 to 1 ¼ pounds flank steak sliced into ¼ inch strips across the grain
- ¼ teaspoon sesame seeds optional garnish
- Prepare the sauce by whisking together the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, ginger and corn starch in a small bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 1 ½ tablespoons (half) of the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the peppers and onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender crisp (stirring frequently). Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Transfer bell pepper and garlic mixture to a plate or bowl and return skillet to burner.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in the skillet. Add steak and cook for 5 minutes, or until browned on both sides and fully cooked (stirring frequently). Leave juices in the skillet with the steak.
- Return peppers, onions and garlic to skillet with the steak and stir to combine.
- Pour in the sauce and stir to coat as evenly as possible. Cook for approximately 1 to 2 minutes (while stirring), or until sauce is thickened.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds when serving, if desired.
- *Sirloin can be substituted for flank steak.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published September 2018. Updated with new photos, new text, recipe slightly revised and republished September 2021.