This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Skip the takeout and make this flavorful and budget-friendly Chinese Pepper Steak in under 30 minutes!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Yesssss! Using everyday simple ingredients, this recipe is a cinch to make. Cook your rice while you’re doing the prep work and dinner is on the table in 30 minutes. A win-win situation here!
My dear friend recently underwent an unexpected quadruple bypass and I’ve been bringing him food from time to time. Thank goodness he’s not on a special cardiac diet, so I can make him food he loves like this! It was actually kind of weird because he had ZERO of the symptoms normally associated with needing that surgery, nor a family history of heart disease. But thank goodness he’s on a healthy road to a quick recovery. Hallelujah!
Helpful Hint for Slicing the Beef:
Place thawed beef in the freezer for about 10 minutes before slicing so it will firm up a bit… this makes it so much easier to slice!
Hooray for 30-minute meals… ENJOY!Print
- 1–1/2 pounds flank steak, sliced thinly across the grain
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2–1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, cored, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1 medium red pepper, cored, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- Optional: Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Hot cooked rice, cooked according to package directions
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, corn starch and ground ginger. Add steak slices. Stir with a large spoon to coat steak evenly. Cover and allow to marinate.
- Heat 1-1/2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add peppers and onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, or just until tender (stirring frequently). Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and return skillet to burner.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in the skillet. Add steak and cook steak for 5-6 minutes, or until browned on all sides and fully cooked (stirring frequently).
- Return peppers, onions and garlic to skillet and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until heated thoroughly.
- Serve over hot cooked rice and garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: pepper steak recipe, pepper steak, pepper steak and rice, chinese pepper steak recipe, easy pepper steak recipe