This easy, moist and flavorful Banana Nut Bread is a perfect way to use up your overripe bananas. No mixer is required!
Just 10 minutes prep time is all it takes for this simple quick bread. It freezes well and is perfect for breakfast, dessert or an after-school snack for the kids.
If you have overripe bananas, you probably have all of the other simple ingredients to make this delicious bread!
What You’ll Need
- Overripe bananas – It’s important to use overripe bananas (with lots of brown spots) because of their softer texture, making them easier to mash and mix well in the batter.
- Butter (unsalted)
- Baking soda
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Chopped nuts – I use walnuts and/or pecans
How to Make Banana Nut Bread
- Using a fork, mash the bananas well in a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter and stir well to combine.
- Add baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Stir just until combined.
- Gradually add flour (while continuing to stir) until combined.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Pour batter into a prepared 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center is removed clean.
How to Store and Freeze
- To store, wrap securely in plastic wrap or aluminum foil or place in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- To freeze, wrap securely in aluminum foil and place in a resealable freezer storage bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Originally published February 2016. Updated with new photographs, helpful tips, recipe slightly revised and republished February 9, 2020.