All of your favorite stuffed bell pepper ingredients come together in this no-fuss and comforting Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Lean ground beef, chopped bell pepper, onions, tomatoes and seasonings in a cozy soup topped with rice and cheddar cheese… YES!
This is also a good way to recycle leftover rice (I always seem to cook too much rice and have leftovers). And the best part?! It freezes awesome, but don’t freeze with rice… top with rice and cheese after it has defrosted and heated.
This soup is even delicious without the rice if you’re cutting back on carbs – just top with cheese.
There’s just something I love about smelling a big pot of hearty soup simmering on the stove… I think I love smelling it simmer about as much as I enjoy eating it (almost!). Enjoy!Print
All of your favorite stuffed pepper ingredients in a no-fuss and comforting soup!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper (I used a mixture of green, yellow and red – about 2 medium bell peppers)
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat, brown ground beef until no longer pink, crumbling while cooking.
- Drain off fat in a colander and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, heat olive oil in the pot and add onions and peppers. Saute for 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add cooked ground beef, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Prepare rice according to package directions while soup is simmering.
- Serve topped with cooked rice and shredded cheddar cheese.
Adapted from Cooking Classy