I was recently craving vegetables AND comfort food at the same time and couldn’t figure out what in the world I wanted… until I thought of these Southern Butter Beans.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Seasoned with bacon, brown sugar, and a little chicken broth, butter beans (baby limas) are the ultimate comfort food veggie! My grandma grew her own and I have fond memories of helping her shell them in her kitchen. Many summer nights at Grandma’s our dinner consisted of fresh vegetables from her garden like sliced tomatoes, squash, marinated cucumbers and butter beans. I can still remember the smells of her kitchen!
I literally had a big bowl of these butter beans as my dinner… they were so comforting, especially with it being cold and rainy outside! What is your favorite comfort food veggie? 🙂Print
- 5 slices lean bacon, chopped
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce package) frozen butter beans (baby lima beans)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less, to taste)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon and onion until bacon is cooked and onions are tender (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add brown sugar and chicken broth. Cook until sugar is dissolved. Add frozen butter beans and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until tender. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
Adapted from Southern Living