- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes and juices
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (more or less, to taste)
- Optional: fresh chopped cilantro and sour cream, for topping
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and jalapeño and sauté until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add black beans, diced tomatoes with juices, corn, vegetable stock, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro and/or sour cream, if desired.
Adapted from Food and Wine