One of the things I love so much about summertime is summer vegetable salads… like this easy and healthy Tomato, Basil and Red Onion Salad.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
If you follow me on Instagram then you know I took a little day trip to Ocracoke Island this past weekend with my dog Baby (just me and her!) for lunch and a day of walking the island. That day with my dog has been on my bucket list for a while and I finally did it.
She did so very good and was so well-mannered towards everyone! Even though I rescued her a year ago this month, I know she probably doesn’t have a whole lot of time left with me which is okay because we’ve made our moments count this past year. This is on the ferry ride home and she is worn out from all of the fun. She met so many people from toddlers to elderly people to a nice group of people traveling on their Harleys. It was almost like she was a therapy dog and made everyone’s day!
I made sure to bring plenty of ice and water, and used a hand towel dipped in ice water to place it over her to cool her off when she got hot.
I ate a HUGE cheeseburger at Dajio Restaurant (and yes, I gave Baby a few bites!). 😛 I love going there because the food is insanely delicious and they’re doggy friendly. You can bring your dog into the bar area or out on the patio to eat.
So after devouring that amazing monster cheeseburger (it was soooo good!), I was craving some kind of veggie salad to make. My mama always makes me a salad similar to this when I eat with her in the summertime. For some reason hers always tastes better (maybe it’s because I don’t have to make it?!).
Regardless, this salad is so simple and easy to make… and tastes amazing! I hope you enjoy it as much as I always do.
And if you’ve had something to do on your bucket list for a while… DO IT! I’m so glad I did!!! 🙂
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup loosely packed julienned or chopped fresh basil (about 5 large leaves)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, gently toss tomatoes and onions together to combine. Drizzle with olive oil mixture and sprinkle with basil. Gently stir to combine.