This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Tyson Foods, Inc. All opinions are entirely my own. #sponsored #ad
Crispy bacon, shrimp and corn are the ultimate comfort foods in this creamy Bacon, Shrimp and Corn Chowder!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Grab a big spoon because you’re going to need it with this hearty chowder. I don’t play around when it comes to shrimp recipes and want them to be perfect. I used Wright® Brand Bacon from my local Food Lion (in Atlantic Beach, NC) because the quality of bacon can make or break this recipe. I look for cuts bacon that are thick-sliced and meaty that aren’t going to shrivel up when fried. Wright Brand Bacon is hand-selected, hand-trimmed and naturally smoked with wood chips.
Bacon the Wright Way™!
Topping this chowder with crispy thick-cut bacon takes it to a whole new level! I purchased it at my local Food Lion and had trouble deciding on what flavor I wanted. I ended up buying the Natural Hickory Smoked flavor, but any of the Wright Brand’s Bacon’s flavors will work in this recipe: Applewood Smoked, Smoked Brown Sugar, Bourbon Barrel Smoked and Oak Barrel Smoked.
My mom and I were recently talking about how nice it is to be home making a big pot of homemade soup from scratch… there’s just nothing quite like the aromas of a big pot of chowder, soup or stew simmering in the kitchen.
This chowder is perfectly seasoned with smoked paprika, garlic and thyme. Super-cozy is an understatement! It’s a perfect starter course or meal any time of the year. Seriously… how can you go wrong with BACON, shrimp and corn?!
Be sure to cast your vote for your favorite flavor of bacon at the Wright Brand Voting Poll and tag your favorite bacon recipe on social media with #VoteWrightBrandBacon – I want to see them! 🙂 @wrightbacon
- 5 slices Hickory Smoked Wright Brand Bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 2-1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish, if desired
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, fry the bacon pieces until crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Drain off fat from pot, leaving 1 tablespoon.
- Add shrimp to the pot and cook until pink (about 3-4 minutes), stirring frequently. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and add to the plate with the bacon. Leave juices in pot.
- Add onions and garlc. Sauté for about 3 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add paprika, crushed red pepper, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
- Add corn, chicken stock and half and half. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend about half of the soup until creamy. If you don't have an immersion blender, blend 2 cups of soup in a blender and pulse until creamy (exercise caution while blending hot liquids - blend small amounts at a time and hold down the top of blender pitcher while blending because there is a risk of the top blowing off and hot liquids to blow out!) and return to pot and stir well.
- Serve with shrimp and sprinkle with bacon pieces.
- Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, if desired.