Today I’m bringing back and older recipe from the beginning days of the blog that I thought would be great for a Superbowl appetizer this weekend… Sweet and Spicy Walnuts. They’re AH-MAZING!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
These candied walnuts are like popcorn… you can’t stop eating them. I know because I ate these like popcorn last night watching Netflix with my dog Baby asleep in my lap. Yes, she’s a whopping 72 pounds but thinks she can fit in your lap like a chihuahua.
If you’ve been following the blog you know I’ve been dealing with my dog Baby’s eye problem for a while now. Long story short we went back for another checkup yesterday and it’s not getting any better after her surgery. She had a bad reaction to the serum that’s supposed to heal her eye so we’re having to take other measures with some new meds. Last night was an “Amy and Baby night” and we watched TV with her in my lap for hours! Well, I watched TV. She was high on pain meds.
These walnuts are so good, I just had to do them some justice with new photos. White sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper make these so sweet, spicy and savory. You WILL be going back for seconds (or thirds!).
I found out (in a not-so-good way) as a child I was allergic to walnuts. My hands started swelling and looked like balloons by the time I got to the doctor. One day as an adult I ate something with walnuts by accident and realized I was in the clear. I guess I grew out of it? Anyway I’m not complaining because I love walnuts so much.
These candied spicy walnuts are a perfect appetizer or snack. Making them is as simple as coating them in beaten egg whites, dipping in a sugary spice mixture and baking them on parchment paper. Enjoy!
Originally published on April 17, 2013 and updated Feburary 2, 2017.Print
- 1 large egg white
- 1 (16-ounce) package walnut halves and pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the egg white on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the walnuts and stir gently to coat walnuts.
- Transfer walnuts to bowl with sugar and spices. Toss gently to evenly coat walnuts.
- Transfer walnuts to lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from Cooking With Love