Hold your horses…summer ain’t over yet.
I don’t know what’s up, but everywhere I look online I’m reading “better try this before summer’s over…enjoy it while you can…last few days of summer”…blah blah blah. I’m gonna drag it out for just as long as I possibly can.
I did, however, buy a $16 summer flag on clearance yesterday for $2.98. So, then was okay if summer’s coming to an end. But only for the sake of saving money. And that’s it.
Soooo…I had a watermelon sitting in my frig just hollering at me to do something with it.
I remember seeing this awesome recipe (and photographs!) on one of my favorite food blogs, Eat Yourself Skinny. My first initial reaction was, “uggghhh…watermelon and feta cheese?”.
I’m glad I gave it a chance. You will be too if you try it. I had to break myself in easy, as I didn’t add the green onions or vinegar from the original recipe. Maybe next time.
This recipe is using the whole watermelon and is enough to take to a gathering. For a family of three or four, I would cut the recipe in half.
This super oh so simple watermelon salad is not only good for you, it’s lip smackin’ good. The tartness of the lime juice blended with the sweetness of the honey and the saltiness of the feta cheese create a salad that’s like no other that I’ve ever had.
So do me a favor and at least give it a try? Thanks.
- (1) 7 pound (approximate) seedless watermelon, chilled
- 1 cup fresh chopped mint leaves
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1.5 cups honey
- 2/3 cups lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Cut watermelon away from rind and chop into approximately 1 inch cubes. Remove any seeds, if any. Place in colander to drain while you're preparing dressing.
- Whisk together honey, lime juice and sea salt for the dressing.
- Gently stir watermelon chunks with mint and feta cheese.
- Drizzle dressing over salad; gently stir to incorporate dressing.
Slightly adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny