Are you a fan of poke cakes? Honestly, I’ve never made one until recently and I’m definitely a new fan. This Red Velvet Poke Cake would be such a special way to say “I love you” to your valentine (or your coworkers!).
You see that hole in the middle of that slice? Holes are “poked” into the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon.
Then a can of sweetened condensed milk is poured over the cake and seeps into the holes.
Slather it with whipped cream topping.
Lastly, top with chocolate shavings. By the way… no, this is not low fat or low calorie. 🙂
To me, Valentines Day (or any holiday) isn’t about being lavished with expensive gifts. It’s someone going the extra mile to make you feel appreciated… whether it be with a cake or preparing you a nice dinner. I understand a lot of people don’t have the time – but for those of you that do… bake this cake!
Happy Valentines Day and happy baking!Print
For the cake:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 small (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
For the topping:
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (8 ounce) tub whipped cream
- 1 chocolate bar (shaved with a potato peeler)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13×9 cake pan or spray with cooking spray.
- Place flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar for approximately 5 minutes or until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs gradually.
- Beat in milk, sour cream, vanilla extract and red food coloring until blended.
- Slowly add cocoa mixture while beating until combined well. Do not over beat.
- Pour batter into greased pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center is removed clean.
- Once cake is done, while cake is still warm, poke holes approximately 2 inches apart using the handle of a wooden spoon. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk over the entire cake.
- Once cake has completely cooled, evenly spread whipped cream over the cake and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red velvet poke cake