For the cake:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 small (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
For the topping:
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (8 ounce) tub whipped cream
- 1 chocolate bar (shaved with a potato peeler)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13×9 cake pan or spray with cooking spray.
- Place flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar for approximately 5 minutes or until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs gradually.
- Beat in milk, sour cream, vanilla extract and red food coloring until blended.
- Slowly add cocoa mixture while beating until combined well. Do not over beat.
- Pour batter into greased pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center is removed clean.
- Once cake is done, while cake is still warm, poke holes approximately 2 inches apart using the handle of a wooden spoon. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk over the entire cake.
- Once cake has completely cooled, evenly spread whipped cream over the cake and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red velvet poke cake