Today was one of those days that I wished someone would have just shown up at my door. Hey, it normally happens, why not today? Because they would’ve gotten slapped in the face with a cloud of buttery, nutty sweetness while I was making these Five Layer Bars!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
My house smelled like a freakin’ bakery and that doesn’t happen very often.
Because I’m not too much of a baker, unless my raging sweet tooth is in full effect. It has been for d-a-y-s on end; so I treated it. Pun intended. 🙂
These bars probably aren’t your friend when it comes to dieting. You probably already knew that. They’ll more than likely blow any “points” you’re watching straight out the window. It’s so rare that I eat sweets, that when I do, I do it right. I just tell myself I’ll run extra hard the next day. (Yeah, right).
So, if you’re up for seriously satisfying your sweet tooth, here’s how it’s done: Start by lining a lightly buttered pan with parchment paper. Leave enough overhang on the sides so that once bars have cooled, you can easily remove them from the pan.
Firmly press a crushed graham cracker and melted butter mixture in the bottom of the pan to form the crust.
Sprinkle coconut over the graham cracker crust, then chocolate chips. Next, drizzle sweetened condensed milk over the chocolate chips. Top with walnuts.
Note that you can use white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, pecans or a mixture of them all in this recipe.
Bake for 30 minutes and allow to cool completely. Now you’ve got yourself a caramelized, gooey, crunchy sweet treat. Enjoy…(I did!). 🙂Print
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- Approximately 1/2 tablespoon butter (for lightly buttering pan)
- 3 cups crushed graham crackers
- 2 cups chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1 1/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or white chocolate chips/butterscotch chips)
- (1) 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly butter 9×14 pan and line with parchment paper, leaving enough paper hanging over sides to easily remove bars.
- In a large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press firmly in the bottom of pan using a fork or back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle coconut over crust, then chocolate chips.
- Evenly drizzle sweetened condensed milk over chocolate chips.
- Top with nuts.
- Bake (uncovered) for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool completely and cut into squares.
Adapted from Best Bake Sale Cookbook