Today I’m sharing one of my very favorite seafood appetizers I’ve enjoyed for several years: Clams Casino.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe!
I’m so blessed to live on the coast of North Carolina where fresh local seafood is plentiful and abundant (especially clams!). This is by far one of my very favorite seafood appetizer recipes. Sometimes I’ll eat them as a meal with a fresh green salad… it’s pure heaven on earth!
I love to go clamming and even have my own clam rake (it’s at my mom’s now so she can use it!). There’s just something so peaceful about digging that clam rake in the sand… and getting a little rush of excitement when you hear that little scratch on the rake when you hit a clam.
I purchased these clams at my local seafood market because I haven’t been clamming in a while (a long while and talking about it makes me want to go!).
This recipe calls for medium-size clams but a lot of my clams in the photographs are smaller little neck clams because that’s all they had at the market.
I adapted this recipe from The Outer Banks Cookbook: Recipes and Traditions from North Carolina’s Barrier Islands (affiliate link). There’s a ton of awesome seafood recipes in this book and I have thoroughly enjoyed it over the years.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have!
More Clam Recipes You’ll LovePrint
Delicious baked clams with a buttery garlic sauce, cracker meal, cheese and bacon.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 24 medium-size clams, shucked
- Cracker meal, made from crushing about 8 saltine crackers in a resealable bag with a rolling pin
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 slices fully cooked bacon, each slice cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine melted butter and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Loosen the meat from the bottom shell of each clam. Place clams open-faced on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the clams evenly with the cracker meal, then evenly dab each clam with the butter garlic mixture.
- Top with a small slice of the Swiss cheese that has been cut to the size of the clam. Place cooked bacon slices over the Swiss cheese.
- Bake for approximately 8 minutes, or until the clams are fully cooked and cheese is bubbly and hot.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
Adapted from The Outer Banks Cookbook
Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, eggs or unpasteurized milk may increase your risk of foodborne illness.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: clams casino recipe
Originally published January 15, 2012 and updated with new photographs June 23, 2017.