Celebrate cherry season with this refreshingly delicious Cherry Margarita! This sweet and tart margarita is perfect for summer evening sipping and incredibly easy to mix up.
This recipe is a fruity spin on the classic margarita – it’s a delicious blend of tart cherry juice, tangy lime juice, sweet simple syrup, cherry liqueur, and smooth silver tequila.
Cherry Margarita Ingredients
- Tequila – silver (also called white or blanco) tequila
- Cherry juice – unsweetened
- Cherry liqueur
- Lime juice
- Simple syrup
- Sea salt and lime wedge – for rimming the glass
- Fresh cherries and lime wheel – optional garnish
How to Prepare
- Prepare your glass. Rub a lime wedge around the rim of your glass, then dip the rim into salt. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
- Pour in the ingredients. In a cocktail shaker that is half-filled with ice, pour in the cherry juice, tequila, cherry liqueur, lime juice, and simple syrup.
- Shake it up. Secure the lid on your cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Strain and serve. Strain the cocktail into the prepared glass.
- Garnish. Add a couple of fresh cherries and a lime wheel to garnish, if desired.
- Use freshly squeezed lime juice if possible. While bottled juice can be used, fresh is definitely best in this recipe.
- Use quality tequila. Choose a silver tequila that is your favorite.
- Chill your glass. A chilled glass will keep your margarita colder for a longer amount of time.
- Shake well. Be sure to vigorously shake your cocktail shaker for 15 to 20 seconds before straining into your glass.
Yes, but I would omit the simple syrup if using sweetened cherry juice.
Yes! Simply combine equal parts granulated white sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat until the sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before using.
Yes, but it will give this margarita a deeper, richer flavor than the neutral flavor of silver tequila.
- Make it spicy. Add a spicy kick by muddling a couple of jalapeño slices in the bottom of your cocktail shaker before adding the ice and pouring in the ingredients.
- Make it frozen. Blend the ingredients with ice in a blender – you’ll probably want to increase the ingredient amounts so that the ice doesn’t dilute the flavor.
For rimming the glass:
- 1 lime wedge
- sea salt or kosher salt
For the margarita:
- 1 ounce unsweetened cherry juice
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce cherry liqueur I use Luxardo
- 1 ounce lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- fresh cherries
- lime wheels
- Pour salt onto a small plate or saucer. Rub the lime wedge around the rim of your glass. Dip the rim of the glass into the salt and twist so that the salt sticks to the rim. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker half full with ice. Pour in the cherry juice, tequila, cherry liqueur, lime juice, and simple syrup.
- Cover and shake vigorously for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Strain into the prepared glass. Garnish with lime wheels and cherries, if desired.
- To prepare simple syrup: Combine equal amounts of granulated white sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- If using sweetened cherry juice, omit the simple syrup.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.