These little Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes are just as cute as they are delicious!
With the Easter holiday approaching, I thought back on what we used to eat at my grandma’s house for Easter dinner after church.
Somehow Grandma would always manage to throw together the BEST pineapple cake at the last minute. It was like she didn’t even have to think about what she was doing. It was from a box and she never read the directions or measured out any of the ingredients… but it always turned out phenomenal. I think Grandma always timed it at the very last minute so it would be piping hot from the oven when it was time for dessert.
I think if Grandma were here today, she’d sure enjoy these little Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes. I’ve seen them around online and have always thought they were so dainty… not to mention that everyone isn’t scrambling to get a slice of cake at the same time (like it used to be at Grandma’s).
It all starts with putting a spoonful of a brown sugar, butter and rum mixture in the bottom of a muffin tin that has been greased or sprayed with cooking spray.
Then place half of a maraschino cherry in the center and surround it with pineapple tidbits. Pour the batter over the top and bake… it’s as simple as that!Print
These easy and delicious cupcakes are always a welcomed dessert!
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- 12 maraschino cherries, sliced in half
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, reserve juice for cake mix
For the cupcake batter:
- 1 package yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Heinz Classic Yellow, 16.5 ounce mix)
- Reserved pineapple juice (should yield 1 cup of juice)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 2 (12 cup) muffin pans.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar and rum. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for approximately 2 minutes (stirring often), or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Spoon brown sugar mixture evenly into cupcake tins. Place half of a maraschino cherry in the center of each muffin section. Surround with pineapple tidbits.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, pineapple juice, eggs and oil on low speed for until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Spoon cake batter over pineapple, filling almost to the top of each tin (mine were about 7/8 full).
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center is removed clean.
- Immediately invert onto wire racks and allow to cool.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pineapple upside-down cupcakes