A hearty and comforting soup with turkey sausage, vegetables and rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 3 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled and sliced carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh baby spinach
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and saute for 1 minute. Add garlic and saute until fragrant (about another minute).
- Add 1/2 cup of the water and turkey sausage. Cook while crumbling turkey sausage until sausage is browned and no longer pink (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Add all remaining ingredients except spinach and stir to combine (don’t forget the remaining water). Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until carrots are tender and rice is cooked.
- Add spinach and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: turkey sausage soup