- 6 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups chopped)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (about 1–1/4 cups)
- 3 ribs celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 (10-1/2 ounce) cans condensed cream of celery soup
- 3 cups minced clams with juices (3 (6–1/2 ounce) cans with juice if not using fresh clams)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes (about 3 cups)
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until fully cooked (about 5 minutes). Remove bacon from pot and place in a small bowl (leave drippings in pot).
- In the same pot, melt the butter and add onions, carrots and celery. Saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add cream of celery soup, clams with juices and cooked bacon pieces. Stir to combine.
- Whisk flour and 1 cup of the half and half in a small bowl until smooth. Pour into soup and stir to combine.
- Add remaining half and half and 2 cups of whole milk and stir to combine.
- Season with salt, pepper, dill and bay leaf and stir again to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil and add potatoes. Stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat as needed to maintain a simmer.
- Simmer (stirring occasionally) for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
Inspired by Taste of Home