Rum cake with a tropical twist prepared with spiced rum, pineapple, maraschino cherries, coconut, banana cream pudding mix and nutmeg.
For the rum-marinated fruit:
- 2 cups seedless green grapes
- 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained (reserve 8–10 cherries for cake)
- 1 cup spiced rum
For the cake:
- 4 cored slices of pineapple, halved
- 8–10 maraschino cherries (without stem)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box butter golden cake mix
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box INSTANT banana cream pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- For the glaze:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup spiced rum
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place grapes and maraschino cherries in a bowl and pour in 1 cup of spiced rum. Stir to coat, cover and refrigerate.
- Spray a bundt pan generously with cooking spray. Place pineapple slice halves in ridges of bundt pan evenly and evenly distribute cherries around pineapple slice halves.
- Sprinkle evenly with pecans.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, nutmeg, eggs, water, vegetable oil and rum with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add coconut flakes and stir until combined.
- Pour over pineapple, cherry and nut mixture in bundt pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted is removed clean. Place on a baking rack to cool.
- While cake is cooling, prepare the rum glaze. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar, then add water. Stir to combine. Increase heat to high and boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, slowly add rum (exercise caution when adding rum, mixture will bubble) and stir well to combine.
- Once cake has cooled, invert onto a serving plate. Using a skewer or toothpick, pierce holes throughout the cake. Drizzle glaze over top and sides of cake, allowing it to absorb the glaze. Garnish with the marinated cherries and grapes.
- Cook time includes time to prepare glaze.
- I save the rum marinade from the cherries and grapes to mix with ginger ale for a special cocktail!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tropical rum cake, tropical rum cake recipe