For the filling:
- 5 cups halved fresh strawberries (sometimes I quarter or slice in thirds depending on size of berry)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
For the topping:
- 1–1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Add strawberries to skillet and evenly sprinkle with sugar and cornstarch. Stir gently to evenly coat strawberries.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add butter cubes to flour mixture. Using the tips of your fingers, crumble butter into the flour. Add milk and vanilla extract. Stir with a spoon until a soft batter is formed.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter over the strawberries. Gently spread as evenly as possible over strawberries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until strawberry filling is bubbling around edges of skillet and topping is a light golden brown.